Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not find command

Status
Not open for further replies.

seppeku

ISP
Jan 7, 2002
US
I have to clarify that I'm new to HP-UX, but not Unix.

HP-UX 10.20
New install
I'm trying to run any command in a hpterm window, but I keep getting a "cannot be found" message.

Any ideas why it would be doing this. I opened the login file and the path statement looks good.

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance

Hello:

Have you tried to execute a command with the absolute path?

Best regards,
Mario.

There might be something further down in your .profile that undoes the path. Can you post your .profile here?

Can you cd into any directory, especially /usr/bin or /sbin? It would be nice to get a long listing of the contents of at least one of those directories.

Have you applied patches to the system since its installation?

Thanks for the response.

I found a work around.

What I realized was that I was using hpterm to run my commands. That's where I was having the problem. So I got the bright idea to try a different terminal program such as xterm or dtterm. Once I opened one of these terminals I was able to run the various command line commands. Not sure why hpterm would not allow me to execute.

Any ideas?

Forget my prior response, I posted at the same time as everyone else!

You may want to look at your path statements in your .profile. You may also want to look at /usr/local/environment and /usr/local/environment.site.

Here are the basic entries for paths:
/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin/local:/var/yp:/usr/bin/X11:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back