Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not copy files to Mapped drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

microsGuy16

Programmer
May 26, 2016
US
Hello -

I'm using a Windows 11 Pro workstation and Windows Server 2022 Standard. I have a GPO that maps a network drive to a share on the server. I can go to the S: drive and create files by right-clicking and choosing New text file for example. I can make changes to the file, and delete.

The problem is when I take a file from my desktop for example and try to cut/copy and paste to the network drive. I get an error "S:\ is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted......."

If I open an explorer window and navigate to the UNC path (ie \\server\datashare - which is what I have deviced in the GPO to map the S: drive), and i copy files to that same folder, it works perfectly fine.

I can also copy the files successfully via command prompt using the drive letters.

Any ideas? I'm coming up empty on the internet. I have checked the permissions and they are all configured properly I believe. Again, i can copy files fine through the UNC path, but not through the mapped drive.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back