Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not associate AVI with Classic Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargoyle47

Technical User
Mar 7, 2005
Can not associate AVI with Classic Media Player.
It seem that no matter what I try I just can not get a AVI to associate with the Classic Media Player.

I have:
Gone to Tool/ File type/ Avi/ Edit / Classic Media player

Right click on file Open with choose Classic Media Play (checked off always Use)

Right click choose from Listed programs Classic media Player.

None of the above will stick. If I double click on the avi in Windows Explorer it wants to install the MS Windows Media Player.

How do I change this so it is set for Classic Media Player not installMS Windows Media Player?

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

See if these help you further:

File Associations

Fix file associations from the Command Line: Did you leave the Always Use This Program To Open This File option
turned on? Do you want to change it back so it prompts you to specify a program each time? To delete the association
with that file type, at the command prompt enter the command ASSOC.EXT= [where .EXT specifies the extension of
the file type whose association you want to delete (e.g., .WAV for wave files)].

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back