Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not access OST file

Status
Not open for further replies.

obrienja

Technical User
Jul 17, 2008
US
We had a new financial planner join our firm. He came from an office using exchange. We don't use a server mail system. There was no problem accessing his e-mail account through our system. Yesterday when his outlook opened the exchange setup wizard opened. I did not know it but he was still using the OST files. He does not have access to the server at his old company so we can't validate his username to access the OST files.

Is there anyway to access those files with out connecting to the old server.

He is using

Outlook 2003 sp1
XP Professional sp2

Thanks,

Jay

Same problem, moved laptop to new domain, thinking I could then import the OST, OMG what a bunch of muppets the outlook team @ Microsoft are!

No method or tool to import old OST file?

Anyone know of a FREE method?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

You aren't supposed to be able to import an .ost file. I'm surprised you think you should be able to.

It's merely a copy of the Exchange mailbox. When he left his previous position, he should have (had he been thinking) gotten a .pst file of the contents of the mailbox. He could then import that.

Pat Richard MVP

You should be able to convert an OST to a PST only it doesn't work in MSO2003!

The old exchange server is no longer available nor the domain either.

Yes granted , had I known it no longer worked in MSO2003 , as it did in MSO2000, I would have exported the the account to PST first, oh well you live and learn I guess!

There are plenty of converters out there , but cost stupid money for something i'll only ever use once!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

I used ost2pst to do a conversion on an orphaned OST, it worked fine. I have the app but now can't find the link to give you guys to download it. If you can think of a way to get it to you without giving out your private details then just shout... Its only 256kb so no big deal over email.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

You could of course just host it on Rapidshare and post the link there?

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

I could had I heard of Rapidshare... I will take a look now [wink]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

58sniper -> there is no way we are paying @ £500.00 to recover one email file! the demo only restores 5 emails, I take it you work for them on commission basis!

aich69 -> unfortunately that program doesn't work, screen shot of error attached.

http://www.homeloanpartnership.com/OST2PST.gif
I have nothing to do with that company nor its software. I was merely providing a link to software that would resolve your problem. It's up to you and your company to determine the value of the email.

Pat Richard MVP

well again it's debateable if it would resolve the issue , there seems to be a 2GB barrier problem! and paying £500.00 just to find out, is hardly a good investment!

And if you are an MVP for microsoft , and you don't know the microsfot solution what help do any of us have with email recovery!

I see- it's going to be like that. Fine.

The solution is when someone is leaving to archive the email to .pst, assuming the user had permission to take his email with him. Had that been done, you wouldn't have a problem. It's that simple. There's the Microsoft recommendation. Your user didn't do that. So I provided a link to a solution that WILL work. If you decide that it's not fiscally prudent to take that approach, that has nothing to do with Microsoft.

You could certainly call PSS with a credit card in your hand - but you don't seem to be willing to spend any money, instead, asking for us to fix your problem for free.

Pat Richard MVP

I understand this 58sniper, I NOW know that MS can't use it's own OST file to import emails, not what you would expect, but it seems to be the case and no-one at this company will disconnect a machine from the domain, to move to another without exporting to .PST first ever again.

Hind sight is of no use to man nor beast!

The concern I have is with the expense of tools to fix this problem, it will only be used once (since having hind sight), hardly worth the price tag!

I merely made a comment that as an MVP of MS I was suprised you were unable to offer an MS solution, I guess there isn't one or I hit a nerve, for which I appologise.

I see MS not being able to import its own offline files very much to be an MS issue, and am suprised you see it differently, but hey ho.

There is also a know 2GB issue with OST's from the many posts / forums I have read (if of course they are true), but the fact the tool from aich69 bombed at 2GB would agin imply there is the file size boundry issue.

It again would not be prudent to fork out for software that *should* convert the OST 2 PST but fails due to the OST being 4GB.

Sorry to have obviously rub you up the wrong way.

The .ost file is nothing more than a carbon copy of the Exchange database. There would be no need to import it, since if there was a problem, you'd reconnect to the mailbox and create a new .ost file - that's by design. That's my point. There's no reason to have the ability to "import" an .ost file, since they only exist in Exchange environments, and the mail exists in the mailbox as well.

I can certainly see why an older version of ost2pst would puke at 2GB, since the version of .pst it's likely trying to use is the older format that is limited at 2GB.

Pat Richard MVP

lol sniper, if the exchange server still existed and wasn't in pieces because the company has closed but the MD still wants his old email, I'd simply connect it to the exchange server and bob would be your uncle.

All these suggestions are 'in an ideal world'

in an ideal world the companay wouldn't have gone bust.
in an ideal world the exchange server / domain would still exist.
in an ideal world we would have exported to .PST first!

unfortunately we are not in an ideal world :-(

There's no reason to have the ability to "import" an .ost file
no that's ideal world thinking again - lol

Beware of Officerecovery.com’s products! Our company brought a copy of one of their recovery programs and it was borderline useless. It only recovered a few files and the program has very few options for the user to configure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back