Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not access NT server by server name

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdmartin1

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
US
Hello I have a bit of a strange problem on my hands. We have an NT 4.0 server and up until 3 days ago we could map a drive by mapping \\servername\volume. Now this will not work we have to map by doing \\ip address\volume. I can not even access this server through Network Neighborhood. The server shows but if I double-click on it to access it it says that I do not have access. The access rights on the volume that is trying to be accessed are Everyone with full control. Is this a rights issue or is something wrong with the server name.

--Can you ping it via hostname?
--Has anything changed and have you verified the DNS servers record for this servers hostname and IP address?
--What type of server is it, BDC, Member server?

To answer your question the best I can.
--Can you ping it via hostname?
No. Pinging the hostname returns no response.
Pinging the IP address works.
--Has anything changed and have you verified the DNS servers record for this servers hostname and IP address?
I do not know if anything changed on this server other than a tech went in and deletd the ip address, subnetmask, and default gateway and then added them back exactly as they were before. I believe that the DNS records are correct in regards to this server.
--What type of server is it, BDC, Member server?
Sorry, I'm not sure. This server is just running a specific database app for us and we just log in and map drives as needed to run that app.

Someone suggested trying to uninstall and then reinstall TCP/IP. Would this make a difference or just cause further problems.
Thank You.

Before you kill the tcp stack have you tried nbtstat -r form the cmd prompt?

Tim.

I would tend to think it is a WINS related issue, and the NBTSTAT -r or even NBTSTAT -RR (if running Sp4 or higher) may also help by re-registering with WINS.

Good luck

IF you cant ping by name and you are running a DNS server you should definitly try troubleshooting your DNS first. It seems like you are not getting a good name to IP resolution. Try ping other servers by name if you have any and see if you get a response.

I believe that DNS has nothing to do with share mapping, as share mapping is done via a NetBIOS name-to-IP lookup, not a DNS lookup.

Thus WINS is where the problem lies... [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back