Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can no longer ping outside addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTeagle

Programmer
May 30, 2000
GB
I periodically move my furniture around at home (hey, it's a hobby, OK? :) ) and so I have to unplug and re-connect my mini-LAN at those times. Normally when I put everything back together, it all works give or take a couple of physical cable plug checks. But this time, it's all gone pear-shaped.

Here's the setup (net access = cable modem):

Machine 1: Server: Win2K Pro

Net access: IP as supplied by ISP (DHCP), 255.255.255.0, default gateway as supplied by ISP.
DNS: as supplied by ISP

LAN: 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0, no gateway
DNS: as supplied by ISP
---
Machine 2: Client 1: Win2K Pro

LAN: 192.168.0.2, 255.255.255.0, gateway = 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1
---
Machine 3: Client 2: WinXP Home

LAN: 192.168.0.3, 255.255.255.0, gateway = 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

Now this always has worked so far, but now I can't access the net from the client machines.

From server I can ping anything - other machines on LAN, server machine itself via private AND external IP AND external addresses.

From the clients, I CAN see files on the server machine, and access them OK. I CAN ping other machines on the LAN, AND the server via its private address, AND the server via its external address. But I can't ping external addresses; I don't even seem able to get DNS lookups any more, although I could yesterday (been fiddling between).

If I observe the little TV lights on the taskbar of the server during an outside ping from a client, the server seems to ignore the ping and there is no apparent propogation to the outside.

Can anyone help?

Did IP forwarding get disabled by any chance? I think that they call it Internet Connection Sharing in post-NT Windows. It really performs NAT and ip forwarding. If it is disabled on your server, then no packets will be forwarded from one interface to the other, regardless of whether it knows the route to send the packet.

pansophic

* bangs head on wall *

Yes, it did get disabled. Suddenly, I can ping outside.

What frustrates me is, I'm very sure it was on yesterday when I first discovered it was AWOL... but I guess I had a firewall confusing the issue (firewalls have been uninstalled temporarily while I sorted this out).

Thanks for opening my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back