Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can NNM send email notification of a newly discovered device

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjrhzrd

MIS
Mar 7, 2005
US
Thanks all for reading this!. I just loaded an eval copy of NNM and have got a nice network map and a lot of info that I could not find on other packages. Here is one of the bigger things I need to get NNM to do. Can it email an admin when a new device has appeared on the network like Whats Up Pro? Also can someone tell me how often does it do network scans to find new devices.
I have fairly secure network, but some jacks are in a semi public area.

Do you have an NMS messaging tool (like TelAlert)? If so don't read all the crap I'm talking about below this paragraph. You should be able to find an NNM SNMP trap that notifies of new objects that can be piped to TelAlert for the purpose of emailing and/or paging. And even if you don't have TelAlert, there may be some way of executing a command line mail command from the trap's automatic action section that allows you to do this.

With NNM, there are buckets of ways of achieving what you want to do. If you have auto discovery enabled (you'll find that you are able to configure the interval that NNM looks for new devices), then there are numerous binaries you can run that will give you visibility of new "objects" discovered. One that comes to mind for me is "/opt/OV/bin/ovobjprint". This may be an OVO binary, but I believe it comes with NNM. Running ovobjprint from the command line will print to standard output a list of all objects (and certain attributes associated with these objects) currently known by your NNM instance. I have written many scripts using ovobjprint for the purpose of generating non-standard reports. However, for your purposes the aim would be to run ovobjprint at a configured interval that is sync with your auto discovery interval. I would write a script (most likely in PERL that records all of your known objects to a file that gets appended when a new object is discovered. The script would write to email a list of the new objects identified.

The real value of writing a script to do this is a function of greater control over when emails get sent and what will be included in the content of the emails sent. If you message (by that I mean email or page) a customer each time a new object is identified, you run the risk of someone getting a bushel of single messages each representing the discovery of one or maybe two new objects. Some of these objects may not even be important to your end customer (like interfaces on a switch). So think about it. If you want, I'll send you one of the scripts I've written that use the output of "ovobjprint".

Cheers

Larry Moon

Hey Larry, Can I see some of your scripts? I am not a programmer nor a developer but the Administrator of our NNM system. I love NNM and would like to exploit every area we deem valuable. I have played with Nigel’s script and bought the Dummies book on Perl. I just want to see everything I can a hold of.
See one of my Threads at

Mjrhzrd
You have to identify what event is triggered when a device is added to the topology and run an email script using SMTP to pass the event. As Larry said it can be done.

Ru55ell

Ru55ell,

I'll be happy to send you the scripts I have. It may be next week as I'm on vacation right now and all my stuff is at work. I won't forget.

Cheers,

Larry

Ru55el,

I'm on vacation right now, but will send some scripts to you next week when I get back to the office.

Cheers,

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back