Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can MySQL (4.1) handle Enterprise Website performance? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamiMajed

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2004
US
Currently using MySql 4.1 on Production Website. (backend is written in MS.Net - using OLEDB AND ODBC)
We will probably get about 250,000 - 750,000 hits per day very shortly (maybe more).
Most Pages served make about 10 calls to MySql DB.
QUESTION: CAN MYSQL DB HANDLE THIS?

I have modified configuration to allow 400 max_connections and close (wait_timeout) after 2 seconds.
Yes, I did the math, but i'm not sure about table locking and all all of the beautiful Problems it may introduce with this kind of load.

(i'm much more comfortable with ms sql svr, but took over this project already in mysql 4.1)
Thanks so much for your input (and prof. advice)
- SamiMajed

I'm not an expert in MySQL, but I don't see a problem. It's used behind a lot of heavy traffic sites. The O'Reilly web sites come under heavy traffic loads, and they use MySQL. They also use it for their enterprise data warehouse and have a pretty large database, with tables > 100M rows working fine with no problems reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back