Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can my local address book be used by some one else

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarkky7

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2006
CN
Just like the subject, Im wondering if my own address book can be imported/used by someone else? and How to realize it? thanks in advance.

Your address book is private. The only way for someone to be able to use your contacts is to send him your local NAB as attachment, he detaches it in a temp directory and copies from there into his own.

Pascal.

thank you Pascal,
but what is NAB, what's the file name? and if he copies this to his own data folder, does it show up when he opens his notes?

your LNAB default name is names.nsf and should be found on your Notes\Data folder.

If you want to share your LNAB (Local Name Address Book) with others, you can request your administrator to turn you into a roaming user and then you can grant anyone you need access to your LNAB on your roaming profile. This way any changes you make on your LNAB will also be synchronized to the server via replication and vice versa all changes made by users with access to your shared LNAB can be synchronized down to you.

thanks Auggz,
I tried to copy my names.nsf to other's folder, but when he opened notes, it seems he opens my mail box. which I dont want to do. what I want is just let them open my local address book.

No, no ! There is a misunderstanding. Nobody told you to replace his names.nsf with yours.

Either you do a physical copy from a temporary directory, like I said, or you go for the roaming profile like Auggz suggested.

The latter option is preferable if there are more than just a few users to share with, or if you have to share on an ongoing basis.

Pascal.

thanks pmonett,
for the rights reason, I'm not able to touch the domino server. So I cant change it to roaming file. so I have to use the first one u mentioned.
according to what you have told me, where should the user copy to from the temporary directory? and after he copied the file I sent to him, how can he access it? or how to configure on the user's notes.
I'm a newbiee to notes.

If you want a roaming profile, you need to ask your friendly Domino administrator.

The person you're giving your contacts to has Notes, right ? So it's just a question of you sending him the file via mail (or network share), then him putting that file in some temporary directory.
Once that is done, your collegue needs to go into Notes, open the database you gave him (by File/Database/Open and browsing for it in the directory he put it in) and open the Contacts view. Once there, selecting all contacts and CTRL-C will load them into memory.
Then the collegue can go to his own NAB, open his contact list and CTRL-V.
Job done.

Oh, one more thing : Notes has a limit to the number of docs you can copy to memory like that. I think the limit is around 1500 documents. If you have more than that, you'll have to slice the operation into smaller parts.

Pascal.

it's so clear to me now. thank you for your great help Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back