Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can MSDE be run on Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guggly

Programmer
Jan 18, 2004
US
Hi, quick question, which I can't seem to find a straight answer on. Can MSDE run on Windows 2000 Server, or will it only work for W2K Professional?

Thanks! -- Mike

Thanks! BTW, as far as the actual data engine is concerned (in other words, not considering the configuration tools, etc.) what do you lose when running MSDE as opposed to SQL Server?
I understand that MSDE is limited to 25 concurrent connections and there's some kind of maximum record limit, but what about speed, is it slower running SQL Server?

Thanks! -- Mike

It's not about speed. It's about size.

They work the same, you just can't have as much data with MSDE as you can with the 'full' SQL Server versions.

MSDE only allows up a database to be 2 GB.

-SQLBill

Can an MSDE database and a SQL 2000 database both run on the same server?

Is there a microsoft article out there that gives a definitive answer so I can show it to my boss? I tried searching but not having much luck.

yes you can. with sql2000 at least. the msde would just show up as an instanced server. I am uncertain if any article would address both though.

Sure they can both run on the same system.

1. I use Veritas Backup Exec 9.x. This version uses a MSDE database. I run it on the same server as my SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition. No problem.

2. Several applications use MSDE (check Microsoft's MSDE website for a list). If the two didn't work on the same computer, you wouldn't be able to use SQL Server on any machine running those applications.

3. Here is a quote from Microsoft's MSDE Product Overview:
MSDE 2000 is a royalty-free, redistributable database engine that is fully compatible with SQL Server.

I hope all that helps you.

-SQLBill

Microsoft MSDE home page:

Microsoft Products that use MSDE:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back