Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Limited account block viruses that install themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprocfu

Programmer
May 25, 2007
Hi, I would like to know if surfing the internet with a Limited account in Windows XP can protect you from viruses that install themselves in to your computer?

And also if I add a disable in the File Downloading in Internet Explorer scurity setup can protect me from viruses that install or download themselves from the Internet?

I appreciate your assistance

Surfing as a Limited User is the recommended procedure if you want to avoid picking up anything nasty from the Internet. Anything a Limit User catches will only effect his own user files and data, it will not have sufficient Privileges to make wide sweeping System alterations.

I don't know about the file downloading box you mention, it will probably do what it says but in return will limit your surfing experience. Most downloads in IE already Prompt you before downloading and you can then decide whether to Run, Save, or Cancel any such download.

Basic security on any computer should in my opinion include Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy as well as a good Anti Virus program.

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Ad-Aware 2008 7.1.0.8

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Windows Defender

HijackThis Tutorial and download

I see lots of recommendations here for programs like -

SuperAntispyware

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

I would like to know if surfing the internet with a Limited account in Windows XP can protect you from viruses that install themselves in to your computer?
one word... maybe... There are malware out there that can inject themselves into system files even as a limited user...

that is where programs, such as those mentioned by Linney, about the basic security, should be taken into consideration, and it is plain good advice...

but I would like to add one little note to it: a Firewall (software) should be installed as well (if you do not have the build in one running or trust it fully), I've gotten good results with the free COMODO Firewall and can recommend it...

to be almost totally safe, then run an installation in a virtual environment and only surf with that install... VMWare and Virtual PC, both provide a kind off SANDBOX, if the Virtual Machine gets hit by a Virus/Worm/Trojan etc. it stays in that sandbox, and you would delete the virtual machine and do a new one...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back