Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can LastFullMonth be pushed down to database server

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaB

Programmer
Apr 23, 2001
AU
I'm just wondering if LastFullMonth can be pushed down to the database server when using it in the record selection, or do I have to write on optimised version of it in SQL?

I don't think so-since it is a CR function and CR functions don't usually make to the SQL. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

In SQL 2000 and some other databases you can create userdefined functions. I've never tried it, but you could use this to define a server side function that did lastFullMonth. Andrew Baines
Chase International

Thanks for that guys.

I don't really have much to do with the SQL side of things though, I'm just trying to optimise my Crystal functions as much as possible to speed up processing time.

It can pass it on my Oracle database, I just tested it.

{SOL_VW_RPT_CONTACT_DTL.UTCSTARTTIME} in lastfullmonth

will net:

WHERE
"SOL_VW_RPT_CONTACT_DTL"."UTCSTARTTIME" >= TO_DATE ('01-05-2002 00:00:00', 'DD-MM-YYYY HH24:MI:SS') AND
&quot;SOL_VW_RPT_CONTACT_DTL&quot;.&quot;UTCSTARTTIME&quot; <= TO_DATE ('31-05-2002 23:59:59', 'DD-MM-YYYY HH24:MI:SS')

Post your entire record selection criteria and let's have a go at it.

Or, you might create start and end date formulas as in the following:

(note I use parameters to drive this so the user can select lastfullmonth, lastfullyear, etc, here's the lastfullmonth)

@startdate
If {?Predefined Date Range} = &quot;Last Month&quot; Then
If Month (CurrentDate) = 1 Then
DateTime((Year(CurrentDate)-1),12,1,0,0,0)
Else
DateTime(Year(CurrentDate),Month(CurrentDate)-1,1,0,0,0)

@enddate
If {?Predefined Date Range} = &quot;Last Month&quot; Then
If Month (CurrentDate) = 1 Then
DateTime(Year(CurrentDate)-1,12,1,23,59,59)
Else
DateTime(Year(CurrentDate),Month(CurrentDate),1,23,59,59)-1

record selection criteria:

(
({YourTable.YourDate} >= {@Date Range Start})
and
({YourTable.YourDate} <= {@Date Range End})
)

Note the parens.

My requirements and record selection criteria are much more elaborate than this, and I ALWAYS get all of the SQL to pass.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Lastfullmonth works fine in my record selection formula too. You shouldn't have any problems using it in there.

Computek-

The issue is weather you can use it in a record selection formula, it weather it can be passed to and processed on the server, for performance considerations. Software Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
714-348-0964
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back