Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can it be done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 1999
US
Can a vb program be coded to (call) a Mainframe (its hardwired) plug in some passwords and code, then download text1 to the harddrive (C:) ... Thanks

You could probably do that with ODBC. Check in your control panel.

VB can be used as a fromt end and connected to DB2 but i dont know whether you can recieve files.

My company uses a VB front-end to connect with an HP3000 mainframe using ODBC.

Databases aren't my forte so don't ask for the nitty-gritty details.
CraigL@bc-corp.com

My company (Radio Shack) uses client/server visual basic apps with ODBC to connect to DB2 on the mainframe frequently.

We also create comma delimited files on the mainframe, and FTP them down to a server (converting to ASCII) where they can be opened up in EXCEL, VB, WORD, etc.

We FTP comma delimited files from the server, to be processed in mainframe programs as well.

We also have a way to request mainframe jobs from client/server apps.
- We have a DB2 table (I'll call it the request table) where our VB apps write requests to have mainframe jobs run.
- A "C" program (I'll call it the polling program) runs on the server every 15 minutes, and checks the DB2 table. If a mainframe job has been requested, the C program FTP's a file containing jcl to a specific mainframe location where it seen and run by CA7. It's called a "demand job" in CA7 lingo. The polling program could just as easily run on the mainframe
- The demand job runs on the mainframe, and demands that CA7 run the requested mainframe job. We do this so that the jcl on the server is simply a demand job, and the jcl for the requested job still resides on the mainframe, so it can be found by search utilities.
- The mainframe job executes a COBOL/db2 program which checks the db2 request table to find parameters, and updates the request table to indicate the request has been processed.

You can use HLLAPI to do screen scraping with a 3270 emulator, such as TN3270.exe. You pass in user name, password, commands, etc. and read back what's on the screen. ODBC only helps if you are talking to a database on the mainframe, not the mainframe itself. To get actual files, you need FTP

Does the mainframe have a listening ftp-port? If so, you could use the MS internet control, and ftp the file onto the mainframe. However this methode requires, that you store the file first on your local harddisk, and the transfer it via ftp, unless you don't want to use a standard winsocket control, and implement the ftp protocol on your own.

By OpenWater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back