Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I Verify a Win2k User Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2001
NZ
Can I use a Windows 2000 Login Name and Password to verify a user (using Windows Server).

How I was looking at it was that if someone tries to log in to my database then it will ask for username and password where MS ACCESS will then query the server and the server will return a flag indicating whether the details were correct...can this even be done???

note: sometimes the current user is not always the person that is logged into the machine at the time.

[yinyang]

Some people might interpret that as an attempt to write a password hacker!

I think there are windows api calls to find out the current windows login name. You have no need for their password.

hehe - I knew when I posted this that the issue of p/w hacking would come up. My post IS genuine / I know how to call the current users username...primarily I wanted to integrate Windows security with my DB...guess I can live with the multitude of workarounds though. [fish2]

[yinyang]

You'd be better off with a custom 512/1024bit RSA. Windows 2000 security is a joke. The encoding method and key are now in the public domain. I read a very interesting article last year from the smart alek who cracked it. I'll see if I can dig up the details.
Regards,
John

Thanks Poteen

Would be considerably interested in reading about that.

[yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back