Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use the same Application in Multiple Profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBNelson

MIS
Aug 27, 2001
US
I am attempting to install Navision Financials on a machine that will be used by multiple people. I would like to set each individual up with their own profile for that machine. The problem I am running into is that when I install it with the Admin Profile, it is not available to the other profiles. I know I must be missing something but it is eluding me? Suggestions?

Thanks!

If you want everyone to have the admin privliege you can put them all in the admin group and that should let them run this program, I'd think. If you don't want all your users to be like administrators you might want to install the progam under a lesser user grouping. You might want to try the Power User group, for instance.

Dave Dardinger

I have tried to install NavFin as a Power User and get the messsage that I need Administrator Rights to do so. Can there be something in the application (Installing as a service, legacy apps, etc.)?

I have called the vendor but so far I am unable to get an answer.

You cannot install software logged in with Power User rights, you need to be logged in as administrator to perform install.
As far as your 1st post, after the software is installed, it's desktop icon may only present for the profile you were using when you installed it, but see if you can find it in the Start menu.

You can copy the icons / Start Menu entries from the Administrator profile to the All Users profile. The easiest way to access these are by right clicking the Start button while logged in as an Admin and Explore All Users. Be sure, however, to make sure that the program's install directory can be read or written to by the users who need to use it. (You can just give the Everyone group Modify rights if security is not an issue.)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back