Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can i use pc133 sdram memory for my

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepac

ISP
Nov 16, 2001
PH
can i use pc133 sdram memory for my pentium 4 1.5 ghz processor?

It depends on your motherboard, not your processor. Check your motherboard manual or go online to find out what kind of memory your motherboard uses.

NO, most likely it's RDRAM that your mobo supports.

As far as I know, there isn't an "officially approved by Intel" motherboard out there that allows the P4 to work with DDR RAM or SDRAM. The reason is that the core architecture of a P4 has only been refined to work a chipset that can run at 400MHz. If you're using memory like PC133 or PC2100, the bus can't be running fast enough.

The good news is that VIA and other chipset manufacturers are about to release boards (early 2002) that will support these configurations. I'm not sure how they worked around this problem, but you can bet that it'll save you money without sacfricing much in performance...

blah.blah is right it all depends on your motherboard. Intel has released an 845 chipset that supports PC133. Intel does not yet support DDR but as it was stated earlier VIA will remedy this in the upcoming months.

Yes the Intel 845 supports SDR but it does seem a shame when DDR is nearly the same price and a much better performer. Carn't see them selling many of these boards, can you?? Wait for the Via sollution or better still go for real speed and buy an XP! Martin

Well if you need your computer running soon and you have the money then go out and get yourself an XP. If it is not a high priority then wait for the VIA solution. DDR is by far better than PC133. A P4 with DDR will be a real nice system. So ultimately it is your call. Once I was lost and now I am found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back