Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use Ontape to move DB from one to another server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi there,

I have to move database from one server to another (SCOUnix, Informix 7.23).
Vendors of our Application use onload/onunload, but ONLOAD works incredibly slow (I expect the duration about 15 hours).
I intended to use ONTAPE, but I am not sure that my restore attempt will be successful, because this servers have different chunk's sizes.(And as far as I know, ONTAPE restores chosen dbspace to the same chunks)
Can anyone help me to solve this problems?
Any help or suggestions would be greately applreciated !

Michael Puzankov

Michael:

You're correct about your concerns with the chunk sizes. That's why we use links to devices when setting up chunks.

Have you considered using dbexport, and then dbimporting on the destination? If you're database is large, you can export to tape.

You also might consider the High Performance Loader, but if you have a lot of tables in your database, setting up the jobs could be time consuming.

Regards,

Ed
Schaefer

I advise to use dbexport and dbimport to do. if not use dd and move raw logically and execute dbschema on that. IDS won't look for links make shure links should be fine.

Giriraju:

I don't want to confuse this issue because it's too important. I certainly don't recommend using dd. dbexport/dbimport works fine, but I like to use my own extent setup, so I prefer an ontape restore if possible.

Let say my informix database is 3 chunks. When I initialized Informix, I set them up using soft links, rdb1, rdb2, rdb3 as such:

# remove prior existing links if any.
rm /dev/rdb*

# create links for informix drives
ln -s /dev/rdsk/c0d1s0 /dev/rdb1
ln -s /dev/rdsk/c1d1s1 /dev/rdb2
ln -s /dev/rdsk/c2d1s3 /dev/rdb3

# change permissions and modes on informix drives
chown informix rdb*
chgrp informix rdb*
chmod 660 rdb*
# end script

Let's say on my destination drive, my database raw partitions are c3d1s0, c4d1s1, c5d1s1, I can execute this script and set up informix:

# remove prior existing links if any.
rm /dev/rdb*

# create links for informix drives
ln -s /dev/rdsk/c3d1s0 /dev/rdb1
ln -s /dev/rdsk/c4d1s1 /dev/rdb2
ln -s /dev/rdsk/c5d1s1 /dev/rdb3

# change permissions and modes on informix drives
chown informix rdb*
chgrp informix rdb*
chmod 660 rdb*
# end script

As long as my raw partitions on the destination machine are at least as large the original, an ontape restore should work.

Regards,

Ed
Schaefer

if your architectures are exactly the same (ie same IDS, same processot arch) ontape will do,
there is a dbexport/dbimport who are accepting a directory as output (eg NFS) - remember to use -ss if you have more than on dbspace or table > 100 rows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back