Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use my ObjectPal code with sql database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safirlaila

Programmer
Feb 5, 2004
NO
Hello

I am thinking of replacing the Paradox tables in a system with a sql database, such as ms sqlserver. Has anyone experience with that? Is it possible to reuse the ObjectPal code?

The system works a little bit slow now and we hope that it gets faster with another database. There are 4 users that want to use terminal server.

With regards
safirlaila

Hello Safirlaila

I have done some work with this. I will itemise my thoughts for you.

1. I used a package called Full Convert to convert paradox to MS SQL Server. This worked a treat.

2. I was using Paradox 9 and it had a tendency to bomb out - ie completely vanish without warning if it didn't like what I was trying to do.

3. If you have tableframe bound forms, it's not a good idea to just swap out paradox for SQL server.

4. Most if not all your code should work, but...

5. There's not a lot of help out there, but this link helped me...

6. I never completed my conversion. Company politics saw to that. And if I'm honest, I'm not sorry, as it was proving a strain to make a very large application 100% GPF proof.

Hope this helps

Regards
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back