Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use my hard drive as a web space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jan 10, 2003
US
I just installed Windows 2000 Server on my PC. And don't know much about it. So can I use it as a web space???

Kind of, I want to have my hard drive as a server to stores files that people can download it through Internet.
Please show me how to do this. Thank You.

You will need to install and configure IIS through the administrative tools to let your computer act as a Web Server. You would then setup the files (Usuaully in the c:\Inetpub directory that is created and then create a webpage.

Unless you want to use FTP in which case that is setup that through IIS too. -------------------------------
MCSE in training.
Currently I've gone through the following books:
70-210 Win2K Professional
70-215 Win2K Server

See above, but you will also need:

a intenet connection that is always on, or at least when people are going to download things

a static IP address if you want to host a website by name ( insted of IP address 111.111.123.111 (well... ok, there are ways to do this without a static IP)

a firewall to protect any other systems you have and this one (Ok.. you don't need it, but its a really good idea)

Remember, most machines that connect to the internet are probed for security holes within 15 minutes of being connected... do you really want to risk your systems?

My advice, don't open your systems up to the internet, use a ISP or Internet Host to keep your website / files on and allow people to download them there, that way you don't have to worry about people accessing your system. CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

thanks to all for helping me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back