Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can i use hotbackup from 32bit OS on 64bit OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have oracle 10g 10.2.0.3 running on a 32bit win2k3 server. I have a new 64bit win2k3 server and I want to use my hotbackup to create a new database on the new server. I went through the normal cloning process but at the end I have numerous oracle errors. I have researched all the errors but can't come up with anything that makes any sense about what went wrong. What I'm afraid of is that the hotbackup is not usable going from the 32bit operating system to 64bit even though Im using win2k3 on both servers. Can anybody tell me if that is going to be the problem before I get into this too deep?

thanks for any info..

Hi,
Instead of using the hot backup, can't you just shut down and export the 32bit database and import it to the 64bit server version?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

i was hoping to avoid that.. the export takes about an hour and the import will probably take seven or eight hours.. i figured if i have to use the export and import method the users are going to be down for 10 to 12 hours and i was hoping to find a faster way to move it over.

Please read document 62290.1 (Changing between 32-bit and 64-bit Word Sizes), in particular the section on "changing the word-size of your current release" on the support.oracle.com website. Among other things you will need to run the utlirp.sql and catupgrd.sql scripts.

thanks, ill take a look at that one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back