Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use DVI and VGA at the same time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TboneJr

Technical User
May 30, 2003
US
Hello

I have a Nvidia Geforce 6600 video card it has DVI and VGA outputs. Ive got my LCD monitor using the DVI output. Im trying to use the VGA output for my TV. I cant get a signal from both at the same time. When I go to the settings in the Nvidia control panel it will not let me pick VGA - only composite and S video. Im also using Windows XP pro.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Terry

The TV has to have either a VGA input or a SCART cable adapter, for it to work as a monitor (not as a TV, for that you need the Composite or S-Video)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Actually I got the wireless video sender to sent the signal from the pc to my tv. I got a VGA to RCA adapter to go to the wireless unit. The problem is I cant get the DVI and VGA to work at the same time. The card also has a S video out but I dont have the adapter yet for it. I was hoping to get the DVI and VGA to work. If anyone can tell me if I can do this or not do this - please let me know.

Thanks again
Terry

I think that comes down, to whether your video card can recognize the wireless unit as a display device that it can use.

You need to look in the Nviewpanle and see if it has detected an additional display.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

It does not recognize the wireless init :( When I run the wizard for multiple monitors it ask for s video or composit or rca - It doesnt have vga in the list ?? I guess Ill got to radio shack and get a s video to rca adapter and see if that will work. Will the s video out on the video card work like this ?? Or maybe I should just get a vga splitter and use the vga for my monitor and tv, but then Im afraid I wont be able to get the picture correct for the tv.

Any suggestion are welcome

Thanks so much

Terry

I too have a 6600 (GTS though) and the VGA works seperately...

and as mentioned, the nVidia Control Panel was the key...

I would suggest you update the driver, and then see if you can activate the secondary display...

Now if it does not recognize the that something is attached to the VGA connector, then you may have to attach a monitor to it for it to work first, set the resolution to something along 800x600, unplug the monitor and plug in the wireless unit...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Does your TV actually have a VGA input? If it does, connect your LCD monitor to the card's DVI port and the TV to the VGA port, using cables - forget the wireless video sender as this will make the picture quality terrible. Right-click your Windows desktop and select 'NVIDIA Control Panel'. When this appears, under the 'Displays' section you will have a 'Set up multiple displays' item and a 'Run multiple display wizard' item - use either of these and it should get you working.

If you don't see 'NVIDIA Control Panel' when you right-click your desktop then you need to install the latest nVidia drivers.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back