Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use Coldfusion MX for use over Coldfusion 4.5 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omesk

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
The subject pretty much my question. All help is greatly appreciated.

I don't really have any idea what you're asking. Can you upgrade? Yes. Is ColdFusion MX a replacement for CF4.5 Server? Yes. Is it better? Yes.

Hope one of these answered your question.

in terms of upgrading, macromedia does not support upgrades from CF 5

however you can install CF MX alongside your existing CF installation as it comes with its own webserver built into it. all you have to do is to put :8500 onto the url call.

have a look at these articles:

hope this helps !

From the page arperry linked to (
"Macromedia only supports upgrading to ColdFusion MX from ColdFusion 5."

"If you have ColdFusion 5 installed on your computer, you can upgrade to ColdFusion MX (which uninstalls ColdFusion 5), or you can install ColdFusion MX separately. If you install ColdFusion MX separately, your ColdFusion 5 installation remains the same and ColdFusion MX installs with its built-in web server. This is because ColdFusion MX and ColdFusion 5 cannot use the same web server."

So it looks like upgrades are supported, as long as it's from CF5.

I'm not surprised that my question is confusing because I am confused as to how this server/program relationship works. Here is the thing, I am trying to learn how to build a dynamic website using webapps. Every piece of documentation that I find on this subject seems to help me a little and confuse me alot more. Anyway, I got Dreamweaver MX to make the webpage. And recently, I learned that to test my webpage, I need a Coldfusion server running on my machine. So my question is if I design the site using Dreamweaver MX, can I use Coldfusion server 5.0 with IIS as my testing server or does it have to be the Coldfusion MX server, if there is one available?
If anyone could provide any extra info to clear me up with this, I would appreciate that too. Thanks

To

Coldfusion MX can now run standalone -- meaning you really do not need a webserver to run cf apps from it. However, most of the time, you usually have a webserver as well. CF 5 and earlier required a web server to be installed. When you request a .cfm page, the request had to be passed through the web server.

Coldfusion MX can be installed as either standalone or integrated with your web server, if one is installed. The installation will prompt you how you would like this to be installed.

There is a command line utility that comes with MX that will switch it over for you (c:\cfusionmx\runtime\lib\wsconfig.jar)
If you decide to go standalone, that means that to request a .cfm page, the request has to be passed directly to the coldfusion engine -- this is done by specifying the port that coldfusion is "listening" on. So for example, it may be :8500 /myapp.cfm. It takes a little more configuration of where to put your files, etc.

Or you can just have it integrate directly with your web server, so that you can just send the requests through that.

One advantage to installing standalone, is that if you already have CF 5 or earlier version installed, you can have both versions running on your machine so that you can test your app on both versions on the same machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back