Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use Action Script to sync streaming audio with pictures? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan137

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
AU
Thanks for the last reply - that looks like it will work. I am making the transition from Director to Flash and I want to keep the timelines small if poss. Can Action script be used to achieve this?

You CAN use actionScript, but you'd be better using the other method I described. The way I told you to do it is the most accurate, because the sound itself is used to synchronise the graphics ... if the computer showing your SWF is a bit crap (like mine!), you get what we call graphics lag ... hiccups in the playback, and things playing out of synch. By setting your sound to "stream", and using the timeline (which won't add on much more than if you did it with script, BTW), the SWF forces the graphics to keep up with the sound by skipping frames if necessary.

Trust me, this is the best way! It may seem a little unsophisticated compared to what Director can do, but in the end it gets the job done just the same. _____________________________________________________
Knowledge is attained only by seeking out that which is unknown

I agree with RG. A bit late to say this once the project is done, but if you start off your project with first setting the sound part and work your pictures, animations, tweens or whatever based on that streaming sound, and often test it to see it's sync, you might less encounter video skippings, if you just simplify some of the video elements right away, rather than having to live with them in the final output! Regards,

oldman3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back