Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use a single server to run MS Great Plains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcutting

Technical User
Feb 10, 2002
US
Suppose I am working in a small business environment. Would I be able to run financials, CRM, SCM, and the rest on a single server with a single database, or is this impossible with MS Great Plains?

If it can be done, how does this work?

We run GP on one server and it works just fine. I think they go for more Process servers with a much larger volume. We have 17 users hitting it hard all day and it runs well.

What components do youhave installed? Are you running Solomon or Dynamics, or what? Do you have an entire suite? (CRM, FI, SCM, etc...) or just a few components?

Thanks!

Hi - we have GL, A/R, A/P, SOP (Sales Order Processing), Inventory. It's straight Dynamics 6 on SQL 7. We have one snap in product but the rest is all plain old Great Plains.

If you're running Dynamics 6 on SQL7 - and you want to add CRM to that same box, I would be careful. Depending on what you want to add, and what you have (hardwarewise) it could drain out your resources, etc.

The GPS-Seibel product, for instance, is a huge resource hog. You really want to carefully consider whatever goes onto your SQL box - especially those which suck lots of resources (mail, CRM, etc.).

We have our eEnterprise 5.50 installation on an HP LH4 with 1.2 gb of RAM, two SCSI controllers (4 channels) and fifteen 10k drives configured into 5 logicals. I fight tooth and nail to keep other apps off that box..

Good luck -

//sse

Sean Engle
Admin/DirIS
ssengle@bswusa.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back