Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use a single Samba server for multiple domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

help321

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
FI
Hello,

And thank you in advance! I'm trying to find out if I can replace the WINS/PROXY server (Windows NT4 with WINS and Windows proxy server installed) in our company to a linux computer with Squid and Samba.

At the moment we have a routed network with multiple subnets and multiple domains. Lets say for example that we have the networks 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.4.0/24 and 70.120.1.0/24 in use. And in all of these networks we have their own NT4 server acting as PDC and the networks are in their own domain 192.168.1.0/24 (DOMAIN1), 192.168.4.0/24 (DOMAIN2) and 70.120.1.0/24 (DOMAIN3). All the machines in the whole network use the same WINS/PROXY server for example 192.168.1.200 (PROXY). Network browsing etc, everything is working perfectly with the NT4 WINS/PROXY server and I can use NetBIOS names to ping computers and so on.

My question is: Can I do the same with a Linux server with for example Squid and Samba?

Best regards,

Tomi

I believe you can bind different instances of samba to different interfaces, so you can have multiple domains.

However, what you might consider is a single samba server, with mulitple network cards, one for each subnet, running one domain. Create groups for the different users on each subnet, and simply delegate resources based on group membership. That way, you can still keep them separated.

You can always make sharenames non-browseable, and makes administration much easier.

I would then run a SECOND linux box, and use it in place of whatever router/firewall you have, and run a firewall on it, and you can enable squid. This can be any old computer, and if it dies, oh well, replace with another old computer. Just make a copy of your firewall scripts.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back