Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i use a new Package for a report already created ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreetiGanamani

Programmer
Jan 2, 2006
US
Hello All,
I just have a question.
If i create a report using the current package.. and then i have to change the package itself... (use a new package)
will i have to redo the report or will it be enough if i just make the changes in the XML code.

Thanks in Advance
Lohita

Lohita:

In my experience, it has been difficult to reuse the reports. Report Studio has a validation button on the tool bar and will tell you about any problems. However, a lot of the reports would not even come up. I have looked at editing the XML for the model and package identifiers, but I was hesitant to do any editing. The sql use the same field names that were initially imported from the data base into Framework manager (not the names you may have given the fields in the metadata model. If the imported field names have changed, you will most likely be unable to use the old reports at all. That being said - having had to redo my reports twice already, I have gotten faster and used some of the tips from this forum to improve the reports in the process. If you want to see what trouble a new package brings, you can copy the package under Cognos Connection to a new name (and put it "My Folder") and try to run your reports. Since the package and the path are hard coded, all the drill throughs failed for me as well as some other things. When you are done checking it out, you can remove it. Good Luck!

Thanks,
Don
(Perpetual Innovations, LLC)

In some cases I have used the same report with another package.

In report Studio:
Open the report.
Menu FILE , Model Connection , you can select another Package than the one in used.
Validate the report to check for errors.

You might have couple of errors like fields names or even table names (query subject ) which are not found.

In menu Tools , use the "Export Report to Clipboard"
Paste the report in Notepad.
Then in Notepad, use the Find/Replace option
to find the old name and replace it by the new name.
Select all the text in notepad and copy.
Go back to Report Studio and in Tools use the "Open Report from Clipboard".
Validate again.

It's sometime a painfull job like Donb410 is saying, but sometimes when you have only changed query Subjects , it s a quick ( but not dirty) way of doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back