Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I upgrade the IOS for a Cisco Catalyst 1900 Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkeeper

MIS
Jul 19, 2000
US
I have a Cisco 1900 Switch that is configured by MENU. The Menu does not allow (K) command Line input. How do you upgrade the IOS or install a version of IOS say V.9.00.00 which does have the command line.

Thanks

JJstrong

The 1900s do not use an "IOS" per say.. not like what you are thinking about. So far as I know, all the 1900's I've worked (100+) have used the menu interface.. I've seen a few types but always it's a menu.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Let me add that I am refering to the *early* 1900s.. version 5.x is the latest software for them and I still do not see a K option. There are newer 1900's that DO have the K option.

The following the "old" design..
WS-C1900, WS-C1900C, and WS-C1912

The others use the newer IOS type of software with both the menu and the command line interface.
WS-C1912-A, WS-C1912C-A, WS-C1924-A, WS-C1924C-A and WS-C1924F-A,WS-C1912-EN, WS-C1912C-EN, WS-C1924-EN, WS-C1924C-EN, WS-C1924F-EN and WS-C1924-EN-DC

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

I have successfully upgraded 1900's to include the CLI. We had WS-c1912-a standard level switches running v 5.000 standard code. I upgraded them with an enterprise level software. I believe to get the CLI you need that. The image I used is cat1900EN.9.00.02.bin. Besides adding the CLI it has added vlan capabilities to the 1900. I hope that this helps.

Humby-

Can you get the exact model number of the 1912? The info I posted from the Cisco site breaks out the 1912 and the 1912A as different loads. The 1912 ( no A) only goes to a version of 5.3x which on my 1900 does not have the command line. And yes, the enterprise version does offer VLANs.

Mike S

I am having the same problem I have an older model 100 switch with IOS 5.37 I can setup all the parameters for the TFTP upgrade but when I try it just jumps back to the menu prompt. The TFTP server says that the transfer was aborted by client request. Can these switches even be upgraded?

Here is the link for for the answer - Right from the horses mouth or read below:

Notes for Catalyst 1900 Series - 5.35

There are two versions of the Catalyst 1900 and Catalyst 2820 ethernet switches. The newest revision of the product is known as the Catalyst 1900-A or the Catalyst 1900-EN and the Catalyst 2820-A or the Catalyst 2820-EN. Original versions are referred to simply as Catalyst 1900 or
Catalyst 2820.

The Catalyst 1900-A/EN and Catalyst 2820-A/EN models were shipped with firmware (downloadable operational code) 6.00 and later. The latest revision of the firmware is 8.03.

The original Catalyst 1900 and Catalyst 2820 can not run the same firmware as the newer (-A and -EN) models.

All firmware code released after 5.34 is Y2k compliant but the clock function is different.

The original Catalyst 1900 and Catalyst 2820 had a battery backed up real time clock. The functions of the clock and time of day are accessible from the console menu.

In the Catalyst 1900/2820-A/EN the battery backed up real time clock and the time of day function was removed. Therefore it is not accessible in firmware versions after 5.XX.

These systems rely on System Up Time, a counter that notify the user of days, hours, min. since the last reboot.

By the way would anyone possibly send me 5.xx. I erased mine and do not have a copy to restore. I need to fix it before I put it on Ebay for -cheap-cheap-cheap

msdt88850@hotmail.com

As a side-note, keep in mind that the menu based 1900 and the IOS enterprise capable verion of the 1900 are from two different manufactures, thus adding to the incompatibility. Regards,

Don

help for upgrade
i also want to upgrade my switch;
can someone send me the catalyst 1900A enterprise edition (8.xx-->)?
i have the have the standard edition and i want to work with Vlan.

thanks.

I would also appreciate a copy of the "1900 series enterprise software."

thanks in advance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back