Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i upgrade an 8500n to a 8500dn with a diff configuration chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simons1

Technical User
Jun 23, 2011
US
I have an 8500n that already has more memory 512 and intrested in getting a 8500dn configuration ship for it if that will turn on DUPLEXING.

I have the service manual and am a tek but this is looking murky to me, its not clear and we are not authorized anymore so I cant call Xerox and ask them? Can someone help me?

Yes, you can. the duplex capability is built in to all of them.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

Michael have you done it before? Literally walk in talk the old chip out and put the new chip in. Will everything be ok? Worse case what would I have to do? reset nvram or something? Old people own the thing and use it for a travel business. they are ok with it being one sided and if I come in with this upgrade and screw up , they are just going to be besides them self. Its there main printer so I can make a mistake!!! Please reassure me!!!!!!

As Michael says, the dubplex feature was built in to every Solid Ink printer to save time on the production line. But even though you might upgrade this unit, you might not be doing them a favor. Since that model, Xerox has introduced to newer models at substantially less price when the 8500 hit the market.

As a dealer, I would recomend to them the Color Qube 8570dn, And even if your shop isnt authorized to service them, you should be able to at least sign up for the EConcierge program, offer that to your client, and they will get an extended warranty program for free. You will end up being the hero twice.

the answer to my questions since no one wants to help me is this.

upgrade ram to 512 , install the new nvram chip for duplex and the new config card. Plus new drivers will need to be installed for the duplex support.

Im susprised no one here could list that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back