Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can I setup Linux like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohhdamn

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
US
Ive been told I can run Redhat on this computer along with windows and just let them share,but I want a stand alone system.I have several old 486 computers and my plan is to move every thing from my d: to c:(d: is only 518 mb is this enough?)then down load the linux to d,remove the drive and put it in another computer.Will this work?Do I have to do anything besides format d: or anything like the fdisk command is used for with DOS?I dont know how big the acual program is if I absolutly need a big drive I will get one How big is too big for 486?

Suspect that 300 mb will cover the os.
AS far as loading on one machine to use on another, you probably don't want to try. Better to load from scratch on the new machine. Ther are hardware issues that the os resolves as it is loading. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I dont have the spare parts right now to build another internet capable machine.After I wrote this I started snooping around at slackware and think now Ill just buy their Linux toolkit it has the latest slackware as well as Redhat and others.That way I dont have to bother with a download on the same modem that Christopher Columbus used to tell the queen he'd found land!Should I still prepare for any special installation issues or do I just cram a box full of what I want together(Including a BRAND NEW hard drive)and stick the disk in?Theres no partion to manually set or anything?

From the few I've done, you throw together a MSDOS compatible systemand go. Can't remember any issues, everything on the later RedHat fit together and brought the system up.
Earlier versions were another matter.
Based on what I've seen, I'd go with a later RedHat over any other combination. They just seem to have a better grasp of the hardware issues. But that also might be a case of my hardware being enough out of the mainstream to matter.
Can't remember any partitioning items. It just took it all and went ahead with the install. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Have to agree with Ed re Red Hat - even *I* managed to get it up and running. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back