Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i Set up FileMaker to Import data from a txt file into new records

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr9553

Technical User
Jul 20, 2003
US
SSIA. But more specifically, I am interested in making a script or something that lets me open a text file and then import certain data from it into either existing records, or make new records with the data. Is this possible?

Donald

Depend of how the text file is made...

Directly in FM...

or

with a XML file

Short answer- yes.

I am a full-time FileMaker developer and there are multiple ways to do this depending what on what you need to do you may need to use a plug-in for batch processing and file handling. These features are improved in version 6, but I hate to count the number of projects I have doen with Troi File.

Searching text, and pulling data is also fairly staight Forward. Look at using the PatternCount function to find the number of occurances, The use Position to get the character number and then use Left, Left Words, Right, and Right Words to Phase the text.

I often will work for the top down on a document creating a script that looks one sentance at a time and then removes that sentance after exacting the 'real data'. A loop repeats until the 'import field' is empty.

Drop me an e-mail if you need help with this...

thanks,

Joe King
joe@svkingpen.com

delimited files tend to be "the smoothest imports"

All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back