Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I set up Cisco ip phones with H323 and no CM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxande8

Technical User
Apr 6, 2005
US
I know that I can set up an H.323 network with analog phones and a few FX ports but is it possible to set up a H.323 network with Cisco IP phones which need load info, tftp, ip add, Def Gateway info, etc. without having a Call Manager or using SIP?
Is this not the way SRST works? Doesn't SRST fall back to H.323? So wouldn't it be feasible to bypass the CM and just do a H.323 IPT/ VOIP network?

Thanks in advance for any information.

For SRST to work, the phones have to have previously talked to CCM to get their configuration. What you are looking for is CallManager Express-type functionality. There you configure each phone in the router by MAC address, etc.
Cisco had an IOS version that included IP-Keyswitch a couple years ago as a keysystem substitute but I don't think it was ever officially released. It evolved into CallManager Express.

you can pick up h323 loads for your phones (haven't checked in awhile, but I'm sure they're still there at cisco.com/software ) just like you can run an h323 load on an ATA-186 or 188.

Yeah, and SRST is NOT h323. the phones still communicate via SCCP to the router, which is an evolved version of SRST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back