Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I search formulas in multiple Crystal reports simultaneously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl1

Programmer
Feb 28, 2001
US
I need to be able to search for text residing in formulas of multiple Crystal reports simultaneously. Need something to return a list of the .rpt files that contain the specified search string.

Is there a tool like SpeedFerret available for Crystal?

I tried using the text search in Windows NT Explorer, but it does not search the formulas -- only saved data and so forth.

I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who needs this. Thanks!

I assume you mean a string in the formula itself, and not in the results of the formula? There isn't anything that I knof of, but you can export reports to a "Report Definition" which will allow you to search the formula contents in a text file.

There is a tool called "Speed Specer" that does a better definition than the standard one that Crystal does, but I don't believe it has a search utility. I have a link to it on my web site if you want to check. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training/Consulting and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal (including ADO)

I think you are stuck with one of three options. Using version 8, you have a search function for individual reports - ie the one in which you call the search function.
Using a 3rd party product called SpeedSpecer you can create detailed specifications of existing reports, and save them to doc files. Finally, you can export a report to a "report definition" format, which gives you specifications for reports in a text searchable format.

None of these options include the ability to search multiple files in one operation, which is what most people want. Malcolm

BigAl1: There is an update utility to do excatly what you want. It was developed by Seagate to (amongst other things) search and replace text in a report definition. If you need a copy of this (it's free of licence) then just drop me a line David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

Thanks for the tips. SpeedSpeccer should do the trick. May also try to write something like SpeedSpeccer with VB. Lots of options with the Crystal references.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back