Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I scroll on a mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InZomnia

Programmer
Dec 29, 2005
Hello, a friend just gave me a G4 mac, but it has no mouse, so I got to buy one.

I cant see any scroll wheels/buttons on the apple mouses I can find on the net!? Is it there somewhere hidden in the design? or do I just dont need it when I'm sitting on a mac? I used it all the time in windows when I surf websites.

Well, I saw the almighty mouse, should I pick that one? however it isn't wireless.

hmm, what should I do??

You can use any standard USB mouse. If the mouse has a scroll wheel then you will be able to scroll.

Thanks, but now that I finally is getting a mac, I would love to try the real mac feeling ;) ... dont laugh.

Do you have an apple mouse? can it somehow scroll? or how do apple mouse users surf the net?

I'm a little confused, I dont know which one to pick.

The mouse that came with the g4 didn't scroll.

We use Kensington Mouse In A Box mice from Compusa for 20 bucks each. Then we download Kensignton's mouseware from their site - much better than the built in mouse controls on a mac.

I actually never use the scroll wheel on websites - use the arrow keys for scrolling.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

I think I will go for the mighty mouse.

I use the scrollwheel ALL the time. How do you guys run through a webpage fast? :) tapping fast on the arrow keys? but they are on the right side of the keyboard - you will have to release the mouse and move your hand to the arrow keys. :(

I can defend the one button mouse 100%, when you are on a mac you dont need it. Whenever you aren't typing you got your hand at the option/apple keys, so if you ever need to copy anything you just press the option key while dragging something. :) its alot more efficient, than windows, once you have tried it!

I hoped there was some similar explanation why a mac mouse doesn't have a scrollwheel

Thanks!! :)

I can defend the one button mouse 100%, when you are on a mac you dont need it.

There are plenty of apps on the Mac that excel with a second button. The OS itself seems better with that second button. The single button Apple mouse is the biggest joke in the computing world. The round hockey puck from a few years ago was insane. You could not tell what was up or down on it.

Every Mac I own has an after-market mouse with a scroll wheel and at least 2 buttons. You can get a good generic USB mouse for $10-20.

Thanks again everone :)

And thanks for the little spacebar scroll hint I haven't had a mac for a few years so I have forgot all the small shortcuts. Is there a list somewhere??

A 2 buttoned mouse it will be with scrool.

Thanks! :)

Space bar apparently scrolls in windows too (at least it is right now using Firefox.) Cool tip.

The Mighty Mouse is pretty good, but it's not too good at scrolling fast. The "pimple" (the little scroll ball) is small so it's hard to get big sweeps if you want to scroll fast. It takes a little getting used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back