Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I save my Hard Drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolverineLogan

Programmer
Oct 9, 2001
ZA
Hi everyone

In an attempt to get rid of a linux partition I did a low-level format on my 3gig HDD, How can I utiliise it again ?
please help ?

Thanks

Requires use of fdisk to repartition and format to make usable. Both are automatically run by most of the windows setup programs. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You can run fdisk program from a floppy disk to set up the new partition. Then if necessary you can also run Fromat from a floppy disk by typing at the prompt format c:
I formatted a hdd once and had a devil of a time trying to get it to partition. I eventually did it by the above method and then used a Win Boot disk to load windows

Good Luck
Joelee :-{}

Only a guess, but because the original partition was on linux it is not a recognised format in Windows, so deleet non logical Dos partition, then make new Primary Dos partition (if you want to use the whole drive as one) Reformat and everything should be fine.Use 98 Boot disc. Martin

Hi. Ed may be more up to date than I on modern hard drives, but I'm not sure that recreating a partition is the answer. Hard drives contain information on the disk about how the data is stored. It's been years since I had to deal with a true low level format, but in doing a LLF you delete ALL data on the disk, including the servo info. That is specific to that disk make and model. All HD manufacturers have programs which will restore that information. Certainly you should try a fdisk first, but you're likely to see only a fraction of the drive as being usable. If so get in touch with the HD manufacturer about the problem. Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back