Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I run the SMS 2005 Activity monitor with SMS 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
I got very used to and very much liked the Activity Monitor in SMS 2005. My hatred for the one in 2008 is...so profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing it here.

Is there some way to grab the .dll, .exe, or whatever and have that somehow integrated with the SMS 2008? I don't want to (and don't know if it's possible) to load both SMS 2005 and 2008, but I know that MS tools don't work well when multiple versions of same tool are installed so I just want to somehow slipstream the 2005 Activity monitor into the 2008 environment.

Can anyone help with this?
Thanks,
--Jim

No you can't load the activity monitor from SQL 2005 into SSMS 2008. You are stuck with the new version.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

mrdenny,
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Do you know of any low-cost or free tools that will do the same?

Basically, the spec I'm looking for would be something where I can actually expand the window vertically to actually see more than 2 processes at once, and where I can arrange (and resize) the columns so that the ones I feel are important are available in view at the left. I know I can do a custom re-write of sp_who2, but a key requirment is ability to right-click and view the active sql, kill process, etc.

If you can point me in the direction of a ready-made tool to do that I'm pretty sure I can get our dept to pay for it...although it would be with some grumbling becuase MS used to provide that with SMS and I just don't get why they threw gum into the gears of what was a decent tool.
Thanks,
--Jim

You can try the SQL Denali version. I know that Microsoft fixed some problems in the Denali version of SSMS. Not sure if those fixes made it into CTP3 or not.

Personally I don't use Activity Monitor, but I don't think there are any third party tools that duplicate it's functions as there wouldn't be any money in putting together a tool to compete with the one Microsoft releases for free.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

There are packages out there such as Idera's SQL diagnostic manager which gives the same information as activity monitor plus more, but at a cost.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back