Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can i resize a 7mb tif and keep resolution on pring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClockworkAgency

Programmer
Apr 23, 2008
US
Hello,

i'm working on a print project and am using illustrator for final output to printer (probably .pdf's).

i have a 7mb tif image that is 300x200 print size.

can i simply resize this image to fit a bigger brochure cover and still keep the resolution once it gets printed?

i didn't think this would work in the past but with advancements maybe now? (i haven't done a print project like this in a couple years)

thanks all!

Clockwork

...scaling an image up in a layout application reduces resolution (down increases), which is fine to do depending on what the output is likely to be, as for large format work resolution can be lower than that of high end print output...

...as a general guide 260-300dpi (actual size/effective dpi) is adequate for high end print work with linescreen at 150 to 175 lpi...

...and for large poster work 80-100 dpi at actual size is adequate, this can however be as less as 30 dpi if producing work that may cover an entire side of a building...

...if you find that resolution is not adequate for a given image then resampling in photoshop or via genuine fractals (photoshop plugin) would likely be needed. Genuine fractals is better than photoshop for very large resampling, although saying that, photoshop would suffice for most needs...

...the quality of the resampling is always dependant on the source quality you are working with...

...do also bear in mind that saving to pdf can also change image resolution by downsampling, depending on your pdf settings, which isn't always desirable...

Andrew

...to add...

...1bit images genarlly need to be higher resolution than regular bitmaps, typically 600-1200dpi...

Andrew

thanks Andrew

in-line with my thinking - just wanted to be sure because i know that poster printers can take a 1mb .jpg and blow it up pretty big without losing much resolution --- so making a nice resolution tif a little bigger should be ok these days

we're getting color print out proofs too so that will let us see the final resolution exactly...

we'll probably use .eps for output to printer

have a nice day

Clockwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back