Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I replicate from a Windows 2003 domain to a Windows 2000 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steinshouerj

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2003
US
Is it possible to use Windows 2000 servers as additonal servers in a Windows 2003 domain? I have set up a new domain on Windows 2003 Server because we are having some DNS issues with our existing domain. I wanted to add my Windows 2000 server as an additonal domain controller as backup. I have seen information on adding Windows 2003 to an existing 2000 domain using ADPREP but none for adding Win2k servers to a Windows 2003 domain. Do I need to upgrade my Windows 2000 servers to 2003?

You can add 2000 DCs to a 2003 domain without a problem or any extra steps, as long as the domain or forest functional levels are not 2003 interim or 2003 native.

The functional level was set to Windows 2000 native. I went ahead and added a Win2k domain controller. I was not able to replicate because of a DNS problem but was able to fix that with netdiag.exe and everything worked fine. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back