Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I remove the mirrors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zawyenaung

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2008
MM
Hi all,

I urgently need technical assistant to me. In my one server, there is 3 hard disks. One is for System HDD and another 2 are data HDD. That 2 data hard disks are mirroring each. but one is missing currently. Now i want to remove the mirroring process in that 2 data hard disks because i want to use the missing hard disk in other place. But i afraid to removed the mirroring process in that 2 HDD. I want to know, when i remove that mirroring process in 2 HDD, Data will be lost in good 1. Data lost on missing HDD is ok. I can't lost any data from 1 good Data HDD. I will attached the print scree.

Can I remove the mirror on that 2 Data HDDs without data lost?
see at ->

thanks

If they are hot swap drives you should be able to pull the drive out whilst it is running.
Otherwise shutdown and pullout.
If they are mirrored, then they are set so that one can take over from the other in the event of a failiure.
However, your pic seems to be saying that a drive has already failed or is missing.
Why not just buy another drive and replace it in the mirror? Drives are cheap, data isn't always.

If you break the mirroring, you will lose the data on that array. Backup the data, break the mirror, partition and format the drive, replace the data.

There's probably a good reason that data was mirrored. Are you sure you want to lose the redundancy?

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

You can break the mirror without data loss, done it many times. You need to break the mirror before pulling the "missing" drive.

"Breaking a Mirrored Volume
Breaking the mirrored volume results in two independent partitions or logical drives. No information is deleted, but the data is no longer redundant. Back up the volume before breaking a mirrored volume."

If the drive is has gone "missing", very good odds (9.5 out of 10) there is something wrong with it. Sometimes drives will revive on a permanent basis, but very rare; even if they revive, generally it is a temporary resurection.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Oh, it's a software mirror. Couldn't load the pic he linked to.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back