Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I rebroadcast Internet in my house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmany

Technical User
Nov 25, 2006
GB
I have high speed internet in my house and I would like to find out if I can take that signal b4 it goes into my desk top, put it thru. unit X, which retransmits the signal as wireless for me to use netgear accessories for my different bedrooms? I am trying to avoid cabling. So what device X can I get and its accessories, if it is there?? Also, will I need to subscribe at all, since I have high speed internet I am paying for already? Ijust want to do the same thing we do in television broadcasting, i.e get a signal on Ch 5 to rebroadcast on Ch12.

Thanx in advance

Gmany

It sounds as if you are referring to a Wireless Cable Router. In this case, device X is a box that will take your internet connection, and allow you to use wireless cards (Netgear as you mentioned) in various points of your house. Granted your signal is not degraded too much, it should work fine in a home. But it really depends on the house structure. If you have dense walls, you risk loosing signal strength.

IF this is the case, your topic would also be better suited in the Wireless Data and Devices section of this forum. Please let us know if that is what you are referring too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back