Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I print each page from both print trays? - 2 part printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrycork

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2002
GB
We purchased a HP LasrJet 2450dtnsl por the purpose of printing 2 part delivery notes. The printer must do the following;

For each single page sent to the printer, the printer should print one copy from tray 2 and one copy from tray 3 (these trays contain different paper colours). The two sheets should then be stapled together.

The printing preferences on the printer only alow a different sheet to be printed as the first or last page. It does not have the option to print a differnet page for every page sent to the printer.

We checked with HP presales before we purchsed and they said the printer would do this no problem. On receipt of the printer we chacked with HP support who told us no HP printer could do this.

Does anyone know a way we might achieve our aim?

Or alternatively suggest a different laser printer that would have the required functionality?

Thanks,

Barry

I'm not aware of any printer that can automatically generate and print a copy of a given page from a separate input tray.

LaserJet Printers could, in effect, do what you are asking - but only if the incoming print stream contains each page twice, with 'instructions' at the start of each page telling it which paper tray to use for that page (copy).

i.e. what you'd need is a bespoke application and/or printer driver to generate the appropriate page copy and media select control sequences.

Mention of stapling brings up a further potential problem: stapling is considered to be a job-level function, so each 'batch' of pages to be stapled must be within one print request 'job'; the stapling can't be switched on and off within a job.
So each page (with its generated page copy) would have to be sent to the printer as a separate print request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back