Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I print a poster 8 1/2 x 11 sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biodmed

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2005
US
I use PageMaker for Poster presentations involved
in research and my work is always sent to a poster
printer for the finished job.

How can I print a poster for myself on an HP Color Laserjet
printer? Meaning, I want to print all of the sheets (on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets)that would make up the poster and I want to piece it together myself.

Thanx

When you print out the file couldn't you scaled down the file in Print Set up, figure out what % you need to scale down your file to fit on a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet. You could also try "reduce to fit" in the paper set up of the print set up.

info@prepress-online.com

"Tell'em we're comin', and hell's comin' with us.

Is the finished poster bigger than 8 1/2 x 11? I would think you'd need to tile the pages with an overlap then strip away the white borders and paste them together?

Here is the way that I do it in PageMaker. I find this to be quick and easy and I have run into problems using the tile function in PageMaker.

After you have your poster of any size, is finished and saved use “edit” “select all” and then “Group” the entire page. Let’s for example say that your poster is 16” by 20” and has a white margin around the image. Drag in guide lines that divide the poster into quarters.

Now copy the complete page.

Open a new 8.5 by 11 page and call it whatever you want.

Paste your poster onto the new page.

You will see that the poster is larger then the page so drag it until the upper left corner of your poster is lined up with the upper left corner of the 8.5” by 11” page.

Print it.

Now just drag the image so that the next quarter is aligned in the upper right corner and hit print again.

Just drag the image around and print until you have printed the whole image in pieces.
Since the image is a little smaller then the total size of 4 letter sized sheets there will be an overlap on the inside. Just align and trim the sheets then mount them on whatever you want or tape them together on the back side. You can do this any size image that will fit into PageMaker.

This gives you complete control over how you tile your image and takes less time to do then it does to explain.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back