Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can I plug a PC w/ 115v to a 100v UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzguy777

Vendor
Sep 17, 2002
I checked my PC and switched it's power supply to 115v. My concern if I can plug this into my UPS which is 100volts only instead of 110v.

I got the UPS from Japan as a present. It's an APC SMART UPS 1400.

I have run powerchute software an it says:

Internal Temp: 100 degress Farenheit
Output voltage: 107.2 VAC
Input Voltage: 107.2 VAC
Output Frequency: 60 Hz

I also checked my PCs power supply output voltage using a TESTER. Plugs to the Hard Drive read a constant 12volts and 5 volts.

I think it will be OK for my Monitor as it says 100-240v (auto-volt).

Is this setup OK for my PC's power supply?

Thanks!

It will work. The computers and monitors will have, usually, no problem with 100 volts; but the UPS will be sensible to over voltage conditions (when instead of 120 volts the outlet has 130 volts, which is only 10 volts over the nominal value, the UPS will sense 30 volts of over-voltage, and surely switch to battery operation until batteries depleted).
UPSs are not expensive, maybe is better to buy a local one.

Regards,

Please, also check frequency, Japan has 60 and 50 Hertz. While the UPS could have no problem in being plugged here, if the UPS is 50 Hz, the inverter will produce a 50 Hz stepped waveform (this only will occur when the UPS operates in Back-Up mode).
Switching Power Supplies, like computers, will have no problem with that, but if the Monitor has a 60 Hz transformer, it will drain a current 20% bigger (because its dynamic inductive reactance is designed for 60 Hz) and could end up damaged. I know that some guys could say that transformers use to be designed with tolerance, and in the worst case the Back-Up operation will last only some minutes, but I feel I must say that.

Regards,

Checked some details on Powerchute:

Output Frequency 60.3 Hz

Specs from Manual:

Acceptable input voltage: 0-160VAC
Output Voltage: 90-110VAC
On Battery Output Voltage: 100v

Specs of my power supply:
ENERMAX 300w
Voltage rating: 90 volts to 130 volts
Frequency: 47Hz~63Hz

I guess I am safe.........................

I suppose you are ....

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back