Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I password protect an e-mail message?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsTFB

MIS
Oct 3, 2000
US
Can I set an e-mail message with a password to prohibit it from being opened by anyone else?

I could create a folder with a password and move my private e-mails into that folder if that is possible.

Thanks in advance,

Bsimm #-)

You would probably have better luck sending a password protected document as an attachment.

I appreciate your reply. However, I don't even know what PGP is!?!?! I feel goofy to ask, I bet it's common. Could you please explain it to me.

Thanks for your patience with someone still learning.

(-:
Bsimm

Thats OK,

PGP - Pretty Good Privacy.. Its freely avaiable email encryption method. The recipient will also need it installed as well, and the "key" that you have assigned to de-encrypt the email. If you search for "pgp" in any search engine you will find loads of download locations.

If you wnat more info onit, check out I have not looked into this since Uni, and its all gone a we bit fuzzy I am afriad ..... )-:

Although the password protected, word document, is a bit of a top idea..!!! :)

Good luck,

Create your message in Word.
Winzip with a password.
Send via e-mail as attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back