Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I open up Unallocated drive space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatup

MIS
Mar 27, 2003
US
I've got an IDE 20GB HD, but only 6 of it is available in Windows (CMOS sees all 20). Can I simply go to disk admin and use the Wizard to create a partition for that extra space? Do you have to have Unallocated space? Instead of creating second partition, can I just combine it with the existing 6GB??

Thanks,
Chris

Your choices are dependent upon your Windows version...the NT flavors (NT/2K/XP)..you can go into Disk Manager and "allocate" this free space into another one or several partitions. Combining or stretching the current partition (while keeping your data) would require a 3rd party application such as Partition Magic.

If you are running a 9x flavor of Windows, then you would need to use the DOS Fdisk utility (or similar) to create partitions.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back