Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i ompact the current database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack10

Programmer
Feb 3, 2010
US
I took over a database that imports tables from Sharepoint. It does this via code and creates a table
in the access db. Its starting to grow alot. There are 3 import processes that create this rather large table.
I would like to compact it in the middle of the process, but i don't think that works in the current open db.
What is the best approach here, this is an Access 2007 MDB. THx

First thought is you can automate access by using the opencurrentdatabase option of the appliction object.

Second is that you can use shell to compact and repair (or find a version of wait shell <one word>) that will run synchronously (wait for application to end)

Third is that you could write a function and run it in autoexec so that when you compact and repair via command line (shell) it picks up the remaining pieces.

We are missing key details like is the file split? What is causing the bloat? Perhaps avoiding the bloat is the better answer?

My thoughts are just ideas that may be incolved in a solution. You'll have to be more specific for more specific help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back