Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I network to a modem that is on a diffrent computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkSmart

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
US
I have a small office with 6 computers running w2000 on a peer-to-peer setup. All of the computers in the office are running a copy of win fax pro. All the computers also have a modem installed. Because of the office setup, I would like to use the modem that is on one particular computer. Is it possible to point a locally run version of win fax to a remote computer? If yes, some help would be very appreciated. Thank you for the help.

I've never seen that done, but you should be able to share the WinFax device that shows up in the Printers dialog. If you can do that, then you can simply print to the remote WinFax printer and access its modem.

Otherwise, I don't believe that you can share communications devices for direct access from a remote computer.

Someone more familiar with Windows have any other experiences?

pansophic

Thank you for your reply, I have talked to a few diffrent people and got the same answer. Last night I found a way to solve my problem, it turns out that Win Fax has a Fax Sharing client and host app. built right in. It is really easy to use, once you find where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back