Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I move from IE6.0 back to 5.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esmonde

Technical User
Jan 5, 2002
IE
I'm having problems with IE6.0's seemingly random choice of window to open new links in. Advice from this forum suggests this is a bug in IE6.0. To the best of my memory I never had the problem with 5.5 and wonder if it's possible to install 5.5 over 6.0?

And, while I'm at it how do I hold on to individual icons of URLs I save to my Links bar? When I first save the URL the icon is there but sometime later I seem to lose most of these unique icons only to have them replaced by the generic "E" icon of IE. Something is deleting them (could it be deleting Temporary Internet Files?) but I can't figure out what it is.

Thanks,

Roy

I'm not sure how helpful this is but there's an MS KB article that describes how to do this:

As for the icons, they're stored under 'Temporary Internet Files' and have the filename favicon.ico - more info at
You can copy these to a new location and then change the icon in your IE favourites by right clicking and selecting properties of the link in question.

HTH
Chris ____________________________
Have you seen my munkee? [monkey]

Chris,

Thanks very much for that very useful info. On my way to the sites now.

Roy

To go back to 5.5 if you had it before installing 6 then i believe you would highlight IE 6 in add/remove then click remove. You should then get some options one being to 'restore to previous configuration' or words to that effect. Choose that option and it should restore IE 5.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back