Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I make a bootable recovery DAT tape on HP-UX 10.20 ? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjsp

Technical User
Aug 24, 2001
GB
Hi,

With reference to HP-UX Disater Recovery can someone advise on what measures need to be taken in case the system disk becomes corrupted?

I use fbackup to backup the system disk incl. user data but if the system disk became damaged what are the steps to restore using frecover.

I believe that this is not a bootable tape and the best option for this is the make_recovery utility. But this is only included in the "ignite" software package which I have not got.

Therefore is there a way of recovery from a system disk corruption using frecover?

Also does anyone know where I can get the ignite software from or similar utility?

As far as I know, ignite is free and can either be ordered direct from HP or can be downloaded from their web site (in my case europe-support.external.hp.com).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, I will download it.

If you have application cD then it is in it. Install it using swinstall.
#cd /opt/ignite/bin
#make_boot_tape -d /dev/rmt/???? This tape will work on any system to boot.

Patel

Make sure you install all of the recommended patches - otherwise you will end up with a system that crashes and hangs if you have to restore it (something to do with sparse file support) Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Another option under HP-UX 10 would be to use the COPYUTIL utility, available on your Offline Diagnostics Environment (ODE) cd or tape. I used to use COPYUTIL under 10.x, and it worked great, giving me the confidence that I could recover fully should my system disk croak.

Pros:
It can create a multi-volume tape set if your system disk is too big to fit on one DAT tape.
You can restore to a different type of disk, it does not depend on your having the same exact disk that you made the backup of. As long as the disk has the capability of being a bootable disk, and COPYUTIL (i.e., HP) supports it, you can easily recover your bootable system disk.
After you do the backup (the system needs to be down when you use ODE, as in fact you are actually booting from your cd or DAT tape that contains the ODE software), you can do a comparison to ensure the integrity of your tape.

Cons:
Slow as molasses.
Since Ignite, it seems that COPYUTIL has all but dropped out of any mention.
I don't know how well COPYUTIL has kept up with newer disks.

Hope this helps!

If you have a good Ignite Installation
and you have all Patches.
Boot in the single user mode.
# /etc/shutdown -r -y now
Terminate boot proccess

Use
b pri isl
ISL Y
hpux -is
/opt/ignite/bin/make_recovery -A -v

makes a full ignite of the boot disk.
But this makes only sense if the disk is not corupted.
Hope this helps for using ignite

Ok,

So how do I know which are the recomended patches for Ignite-UX?

The main patch is "pax" patch. Search itrc.hp.com for word pax and you will find it latest patch. Or look in you latest support+ CD. Last on I got is Sep-2001.

Patel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back