Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I login to 2 servers at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveGoTech

Programmer
Nov 2, 1999
US
Here's the issue. We have been using NW6 for years as our file server. We actually run 2 companys. The server is getting overloaded with all the users, their big files and email (GW6). We want to stick with NW since it is so darn reliable. Instead of getting a bigger server, they decided to split the server into 2, one for each company. Our accountant also prefers this setup (for charging purposes).

So our plan was to reconfigure the existing server, then make a new server (we have one here) for the second Company. No problem. We would have 2 different server names and unique volumes on each server. The only issue I see is that myself, as administrator, the accountant and the boss want access to both servers simultaneously.

Is this possible using the NW login (on an XP workstation)?

Are both servers under the same eDir tree?

If yes, map another drive to desired share.

If no, use the "Super N" in the system tray to log into the other eDir tree.

Or you can do a \\ip address or a search for the IP address within windows and you should get the novell login box for that server (especially if it's in a different tree).

Normally I would recommend all servers be in the same tree, but under this circumstance, it might be best to keep thing totally separate. I would change my story if the GroupWise system spanned the two organizations. That would make the emails situation more complicated. But you didn't ask about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back