Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I log Users and Websites via XP pro event viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchimovitz

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2002
US
I would like to know who is logging onto the computers and which sites they are going to. Is there a way to do this with windows xp pro or do I have to use a third party program (like IOPUS?

thanks

Jared

Cant you just use the history tab in windows explorer and see where they have been, i would suggest that you check forum608
But i think it may be possible to deny access to the history so that the user cannot change it but it logs it

The problem is we are in a school and each student has a unique ID. IE doesn't keep that information availabele for everyone. any ideas?

Yes you can track in the event log who logs in to the computer. Go to admin tools, local secuirity policy open it and expand local policies, Audit policy. Turn on the logon events success and failure.

As for the IE history, as mentioned you can use IE for that but some people clear it. You can use a program like spider (Wipes all IE data off the machine). If somone just deletes the history, but doesnt use a IE cleaner then it can tell you all the sites they visited by looking at the Index.dat file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back